Mark T. White
Nature Photographer based in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada.
Most of my free time is spent photographing nature - typically birds, but also other wildlife and landscapes.
Originally an Astronomer at the Royal Greenwich Observatory in England. Since moving to Canada in my late twenties my working life has been as a software developer, including work on the first Electronic Picture Desk and later Digital Asset Management (DAM) software.
About This Site
The primary intent is for a showcase of my photography (obviously), but also serve as a source of information on the subjects photographed - mostly wildlife and nature in general. It is structured in a way to give easy access to these broad categories:
Showcase my best work. My portfolio contains a representative sample of my best work and the various other galleries contain a more extensive selection of subject specific images..
- Provide a collection of wildlife images covering a variety of species that I have encountered over the years.
- Serve as a partial archive of my larger image collection of (mostly) Nature photography.
- Future expansion within the current framework. Allowing for such things as print and online sales.
- This site has a number of aliases, some for historical reasons, some relate to my initials (MTW), and others just aid in finding the site. They all bring you to this website. I expect to eliminate many of these in the future, but here is the current list:
- mtw.photo - this is the actual location that all the aliases redirect to.
- markwhite.photography and markwhite.photo.
- mtwPhoto.ca, mtwPhoto.com and mtwPhoto.co.uk - legacy and originally country specific.
- markwhitephotograpy.ca and markwhitephotography.co.uk - helpful names for people who don't know about the newer TLDs (such as .photography). Note that I do not own the .com domain - it belongs to a "parking" company that is willing to sell but at a price I cannot afford.
- markwhitephoto.ca, markwhitephoto.com and markwhitephoto.co.uk - more helpful names for people who don't know about the newer TLDs (such as .photo). In this case I do own the .com domain.
Current Site Status
As of January 2024 the Portfolio gallery has significant content and other galleries are building. Most of the Birds and Mammals species pages have the layout in place but relatively few images. Many images that came from calendars need recaptioning.